Monday, December 30, 2013

New Year's Tag!



Sooooo my Christmas was incredibly chill and awesome. We had a white Christmas and had an absolutely amazing time. And nowwwwww...for my annual New Years Tag! This is the...third, I think?...year I've done this and it's an awesome recap-of-my-year thing. :D Traditioooooooon, tradition! 


What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
Went to college. Got a job. Auditioned - several times and got called back once! Even though I didn't actually get cast, it was so amazing and something I'm planning on doing again this year. Dyed my hair red - and loved it. Made some adjustments in my personal and spiritual life as the Lord revealed that there was many, many areas in my life where I had made rules of my own that weren't in the Bible and what He wanted. Learned a lot about legalism and living a more balanced life. 


Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make one this year?
I've pretty much given up on resolutions. :D


Did anyone close to you give birth?

YESSSSSS. My close friend Kate - whose wedding I was in last August - had an absolutely, positively adorable little girl, Isabelle. She's five months old now and seriously, the most adorable baby I have ever laid eyes on. Total baby model, peoples. I am desperately hoping to actually get to meet her soon! 


Did anyone close to you die?
We had some family friends who experienced loss this year. 

What countries/states did you visit?
Um...I think I pretty much stayed in the Missouri/Kansas area this year. Kinda nice. :D 


What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
A driver's license. FINALLY. A role in a play. 


What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory?

November 1, 2013. The day my brother Jon took his girlfriend Ashley out in a rowboat on a lake, released floating lanterns, sang I See the Light, and asked her to marry him. It was so magical and perfect.

Did you move anywhere?
Yes. The Lord supplied a beautiful house for us. We love it to bits, and I have my own wee apartment in the basement now that I love. :)


What was the best month?
Um. 


What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Gosh...making it through another year! :P





What was your biggest failure?
Not being where I should be at this time. 


Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not really.


What was the best thing you bought?
Ummmmm....gosh. Oh, I got a Precious Moments Nativity that I had wanted for YEARS "for someday when I get married." Finally hit me over the head that I don't know when, if ever, that's going to happen, so I might as well enjoy it now, you know? :) 


Whose behavior merited celebration?
My brother got engaged!!!! 


Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Lots of people, sigh. 




Where did most of your money go?
Target. 


What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My brother getting engaged. Also auditions. And the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary special. ;)



What was the best concert you’ve been to this year?

I was so blessed to see a TON of theatre this year!!! I saw Les Miserables last December, then Carousel, Hairspray, Miss Saigon, Wicked, Beauty and the Beast, and A Christmas Carol. While A Christmas Carol was completely, totally magical as it always is every year, the very, very best performance was definitely Wicked. I have never, ever seen a more amazing performance. I was all ready obsessed with the musical, but actually seeing it live - twice - was the *most* incredible experience ever. If it's ever close to you, GO SEE IT. There is NOTHING in the world like seeing Elphaba rise up in the air belting out "Defying Gravity." Nothing.

What song/album will always remind you of 2013?

Defying Gravity and For Good from Wicked, and Let it Go from Frozen.

Compared to this time last year, are you:
1. happier or sadder?
 Happier
2. thinner or fatter? *cough*.
3. richer or poorer? Well, personally probably richer, now that I have a job. As in I have a bit more money. Not actually rich. Haha. ;)



What do you wish you’d done more of?
Actually, I'm rather happy with how the year went, considering.

What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worried, because it doesn't help anything.

What was your greatest musical discovery?
Oooh. Saw some really awesome musicals.

How did you spend Christmas?
With my family!


How are you spending New Year’s?
Nice and cozy with my family - junk food, multiplayer video games and perhaps an episode of Doctor Who or Sherlock or two.  


Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
I didn't do an extensive amount of phone-chatting this year. Probably Amy. :)


What was the best book you read?
Gosh. I ended up really liking Gone with the Wind, in an odd way. Also loved The Great Gatsby. I kinda was in a "read all the classics" mode. :D

Did you fall in love in 2013?
Nope, and I'm quite happy with it. :)


What was your favorite TV show?

I saw Graceland, starring new obsession Aaron Tveit. Incredible show, but definitely not for younger viewers as there was some content. Also went through two seasons of Once Upon a Time in like, a week. Really need to catch up on Season three somehow (thank God for the internet :P). Love, love, love the show (there is some content in it as well, though, particularly season 1). Rumpelstiltskin/Gold. And Belle. And Rumpelstiltskin/Gold. Also I know spoilers for season 3 and I'm not happy. Nuff said. Also finally forayed into Matt Smith's Doctor, and completely fell in love with Eleven. Not in the same way as Ten - but he was amazing. Amy and Rory are epic. And I'm all ready heartbroken that's he's gone. I got Belle and Alex hooked on Doctor Who, and Nick watched some with us and then refused to see Matt Smith. When we all finally decided to see him...he ended up being his favorite Doctor. And now he's obsessed. Funny how that happens. ;)


Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate is such a strong word. :-P


What did you want and get?
Um...a Keurig for Christmas. Also my own mini-apartment. :)


What did you want and not get?
The role I auditioned for. But that's okay. 


What were your favourite films of this year?
Les Miserables. Epic of all epicness. Completely fulfilled everything I wanted. The end.
Man of Steel. Mmmm yes.
The Great Gatsby. So incredible. So sad. Such a deep story.
My Big Fat Greek Wedding. FINALLY saw it. It's so awesome. Love.
Bride Wars. Made me cry. Buckets.
The Decoy Bride. David Tennant. The end.
Even though it's not technically a film, we got to see The Day of the Doctor in theater. I'd never been to any kind of big premiere or anything - any time I've been to the theater it's almost completely empty and no one really cares that they're there - so to be in a room with 300+ other Whovians, many dressed up, everyone cheering, laughing and getting all the same jokes and awwwing and even crying in other parts was one of the most epic experiences of my life. So much fun. And so much fun to have my sister Belle and brothers Alex and Nick with me.
Also can't wait to see Frozen and Saving Mr. Banks. And Catching Fire. Sheesh. :D



What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 24, and had finals on that day. Then I went home and chilled the whole day. And got to talk to Amy. So fun.


How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
Bling. Ruffles. Scarves. Sequins. Big jewelry. High heels. Leopard print. Kind of boho/shabby chic.


What kept you sane?
My family. My obsessions. My friends. 


Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

This gentleman right here, peoples. Henry Cavill. ;)

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Less stress! :D As always.

What political issue stirred you the most?
Hm. I was so busy I didn't really keep up with that much.

Who did you miss?
There are some friends in my life who have gone in different directions, and while I understand it, it doesn't mean I don't miss them. They made such an impact on my life and I'll always be thankful for that and treasure the memories we had together.


Who was the best new person you met?
I got to know so many of you awesome bloggy readers through blogging, Pinterest, and Facebook! So awesome.


Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
    





Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

There are three. :) To keep from taking up too much space, I'm just going to post them. :)




I'm through accepting limits 'cuz someone says they're so,
Some things I cannot change, but till I try, I'll never know.
Too long I've been afraid of losing love I guess I've lost,
Well, if that's love, it comes at much too high a cost!




One thought crystallizes like an icy blast,
I'm never going back - the past is in the past!
Let it go! Let it go!
When I rise like the break of dawn...
Let it go! Let it go!
The perfect girl is gone!
Here I stand in the light of day...
Let the storm rage on!





So much of me is made of what I learned from you,
You'll be with me like a handprint on my heart.
And now whatever way our stories end,
I know you'll have rewritten mine by being my friend.


Five personally significant events of 2013:
I went to college.

I got a job.
I finally auditioned.
I got a sister-in-law-to-be!
I took the plunge and went red! No regrets, I love it. :)
 

Five things I want to do in 2014:
Get my license, finally.
Meet Amy! :)
Be a bridesmaid in my brother's wedding! :)
Audition for more plays and hopefully get a part.
Get another couple of semesters done. :)
Get back to blogging semi-normally. Not promising anything. ;)

Five people I’d like to know better in 2014:
Hmm. My blog readers! 


Happy New Year, everyone! Thank you all so much for sticking around! I'm so grateful for each and every one of you!



14 comments:

Lauren said...

Happy New Year Alexandra! It sounds like it has been quite an eventful year for you...I always enjoy reading these posts.

I feel you with the whole driver's license thing! I have mine, but I'm still not comfortable driving and it took me ages to actually get it. Now I'm going to have to buckle down (no pun intended,) and get back at it so I can work over the summer.

Auditioning is so terrifying, exciting, and gratifying! I always feel like I can conquer the world after an audition or jury. I hope you are able to act in a play this year!
-Lauren

Natalie said...

Wow, great post, Alexandra!

GreenMedallion said...

Agh, that baby is sooooo cute!
Congrats to your brother and future sister-in-law! That sounds like such a sweet, sweet proposal. ;)
Yay, you like Once Upon a Time! I love that show. :)
Ooooh, you went to college. Lucky. I want to go to college eventually. I'm saving up for it. But I need to buy a car first... Yeeek, I need more money. heheh ;)
Loooooved reading this!

Livia Rachelle said...

This is funny. I like how people invent nonanswers for difficult questions.

Cannot wait to see Frozen. I am hoping my mom, sisters, and I can go to see it on Wednesday. I think I will probably be waiting to see Catching Fire on d.v.d. Loved the Hobbit and would see it again if I could, probably more than once. That is a lot of movies coming out in one year for me to be interested in.

I got Les Mis for Christmas this year (I read through the ENTIRE, UNABRIDGED Les Mis last Christmas break but have never seen any movie or musical production). Still waiting to see it.

I still haven't seen Superman, but one of my sisters can sympathize with your love of Henry Cavill (I might agree after I see it, but right now I am happily in crush with Peter Parker from the Amazing Spider Man and am pretty sure Superman cannot replace him).

And what is it with younger brothers getting into relationships before older sisters...same in our house...and the couple sometimes feels the need to patronize and matchmake...silly teenagers.

Natalie said...

I forgot to mention that I loved how your brother proposed to his girlfriend!! It's one of the most lovely proposals I've ever heard! :)

Jessa said...

Hi Ally,

I love this post. I have been reading your blog for a couple years, and always enjoy your New Year's post. I don't have a blog, so I usually fill out these questions for myself to remember my year!

College sounds fun! What are you studying?

Just so you know, the design of exceedingly abundantly above all that you can ask or think was done by my friend Carli Nicole. She is glad for others to use her designs, but generally likes people to link back to her Flickr. Here is the link should you desire to do so (http://www.flickr.com/photos/carliphotography/8041375932/).

Have a Happy New Year!

-Jessa

Natasha Marie said...

Hooray for basement apartments!! I love having my own space:)

Loved reading this, as I do every year. I'm going to try and do this tag today...we'll see how that goes. ;)

Tayler said...

Fun post, Ally! I re-read the Great Gatsby for the first time since high school and totally loved it this time around (I remember liking it before, but this was different). Also, I just had to let you know that I've read five Lord Peter Whimsey mysteries since hearing about them through you this year. They were perfectly delightful and I'm very grateful for the introduction! Book (and TV, and movie, and music...) recommendations are wonderful things. :D Happy New Year!

Shannon said...

*Great* post! I just found you blog, and wanted to pop in to say hi. :-) Looking forward to reading your posts in the future!

Happy New Year!! :-D
God bless,
Shannon

{ blog ::: http://gabby-marie.blogspot.com }

Bella Rose said...

Happy new year Ally! I'm sorry its been so long since I've commente, I'm going to try and be better about commenting on blogs. Its just really easy to forget.

I love Once Upon a time to, and Rumplestiltskin and Belle are simply BRILLIANT! I love them to bits and pieces. I just watched the mid-season finale and it hurt so badly!!! :''(
GodBless!

Miss Melody Muffin said...

A belated Happy New Year to you, Ally!!

You had one busy year last year!

I tagged you over at my blog! http://thesplendorfalls.blogspot.com/2014/01/tags-part-two-elevens.html

Melody said...

Okay, this is completely random, but I JUST realized that I finally now recognize all the pictures on your header. Whereas there used to be a few I didn't know about, heehee. ;)

Evy Cartyr said...

Your friend's baby is SO cute!! She has an adorable smile!

I think your brother did one of the most romantic proposals I've heard of in awhile.

I saw the 50th too, I liked it. It was a lot of fun, and when it was over I was left wishing 10, 11, and the War Doctor could have more adventures together.

Your last year sounds enjoyable. I hope this one is the same, but more so.

Livia Rachelle said...

I nominated you for The Sunflower Blogger Award, but please don't feel pressured to participate if you don't really want to do so.